The Bhaktivedanta VedaBase, e-library of Srila Prabhupada’s books, letters, lectures, conversations and more, compiled using Folio Infobase, is an invaluable resource for anyone who is interested in reading or researching the works of Srila Prabhupada.
Now, however, Bhaktivedanta Archive’s latest update to The Bhaktivedanta VedaBase, the new VedaBase 2011.1, has finally stripped it of Srila Prabhupada’s original books, except for Bhagavad-gita.
The new VedaBase 2011.1 of the Bhaktivedanta Archives!
(completely useless due to the removal of Prabhupadas Pre-1978 books)
The Bhaktivedanta VedaBase 2011.1 update, which is freely distributed by the BA, is an update to the contents only, not an upgrade to the outdated old software.
This content Update has finally removed all of Srila Prabhupadas original books (except for the BG.) Therefore this new vedabase 2011.1 ist totally useless for any sincere Prabhupada follower. In the introduction to the new Vedabase 2011.1 it says: “Removed from 2011.1: Pre-1978 books, except Bhagavad-gita. (Removed due to vexing double hits.)”
If you’re looking for a version of the VedaBase that contains the original (pre-1978) books, you’ll need the 2003 VedaBase. This can be downloaded over at Prabhupadanugas.eu or p.esotericteaching.org. [Update, Nov 14, 2011: no longer available on those servers.] And just to spread the love around, we’re making it available here also.
There are four three files:
- Pre-1978_Books_Only.rar (108.4 MB) – Srila Prabhupada’s unchanged books
- Vedabase2003.1.rar (367.4 MB) – complete 2003 Vedabase
- VedabaseFonts.rar (880 KB) – Windows Fonts needed for reading the Vedabase
Instructions: Download, and expand with WinRAR. Vedabase2003 installs from anywhere, but Pre-1978_Books_Only needs to be in root directory (copy expanded files to a newly formatted USB thumb drive and install from there).
The VedabaseFonts.rar is only required if using Windows Vista or Windows 7. After installing the VedaBase, copy fonts to C:\Windows\Fonts. Run VedaBase and click Tools > Options, then enter “ScaHelvetica” as the “Infobase view font / Name:”.
Note: If your machine is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, operate under Windows XP Compatibility Mode. Disclaimer: We are using Mac OSX with Parallels Desktop and a Windows XP configuration, and we have not tried Windows Vista or Windows 7. But here are some tips from Prabhupadanugas.eu:
Different ways of installing the VedaBase under Windows 7
1. If you have Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, you must upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, Business or Ultimate.
2. Download and install two free programs from Microsoft: *Windows XP Mode* and *Windows Virtual PC*.
3. With *Windows XP Mode* running under *Windows Virtual PC* you get a window which looks exactly like a Windows XP desktop.
4. With the Windows XP Virtual Desktop active, install the VedaBase as usual.
5. Once it’s installed, you no longer have to run *Windows XP Mode* / *Windows Virtual PC* separately. They are automatically loaded whenever you load the VedaBase! 🙂
The VedaBase can be installed on win7 quite easily without compatibility mode or whatever. just install with right mouse click (as administrator), ignore all error windows, and after installing copy the “Pre-78 book materials.nfo” into C:\Pre 1978 BBT Books\Infobases… that’s all. and then start with directly doubleclicking that nfo-file.
Windows 7 user face sometimes problems, always install with right mouse click “as Administrator”, for “Pre-1978-Books-Only” install also with right mouse, then ignore the following Dozens of error-windows, choose “Complete”, finish installation and then copy the “Pre-78 book materials.nfo” (in “Infobases”) to C:\Pre 1978 BBT Books\Infobases (if it is not there already). When you open the “Folio Views” and it is empty, go to File–Open—the aforementioned nfo-file